Sewing instructions No. 1 DRAGØR
This dress is inspired by dresses seen in 1950s. It has a full skirt, a fitted waist and an open neckline .
Find your size:
The picture shows a size 40/12/8. Determine your size by measuring your chest and waist and compare the measurements to the chart on your pattern.
This model is made in cotton. The bodice is fully lined, use a cotton voile or a regular acetate lining.
You will need:
- Fabric width 140 cm
- EU 34-48UK 6-20/US 2-16 1,6 Mtr.
- Fabric width 110 cm
- EU 34-48/UK 6-20/US 2-16 2,6 Mtr.
- Zipper 30 cm
- Lining 60 cm all sizes
- 3 mtr. lace for making a fancy hemline
I recommend that you always make a muslin before you cut the fashion fabric, to make sure your finished dress will fit you perfectly. Find the fitting guide here
Each pattern piece is marked with a capital letter. On the cutting layout plan, you’ll find the same capital letters so that you can easily see which pattern pieces to use for the view you’ve chosen.
NB! Also cut lining with pattern piece A, B and C.
NB! The pattern has 1 cm seam allowances included, unless otherwise noted.
1. Cut all your pieces in fabric and lining
Sew the bodice:
2. Gather in between the notches on the top part (A). The top needs to fit to the waist piece according to the notches. Gatherings are made on both fabric and lining separately.
3. Sew the top to the waste piece, right sides together. Do this separately on both fabric and lining.
4. Sew the lining to the fabric in the neckline, right sides together.
5. Sew the darts on the back, on both fabric and lining separately.
6. Sew the lining to the fabric in the neckline, right sides together
7. Understitch the neckline on both front and back neckline. Cut notches to the seam allowance
8. Sew the armscye at front, by placing fabric and lining with right sides together
9. Sew the armscye at back, by placing fabric and lining with right sides together
10. Understitch the armscye. Stitch as far up as you can reach.
11. Cut notches to the seams
12. Press the neckline and armhole on both back and front.
13. Finish the edge of the shoulder and side seam.
14. Sew shoulder seam, right sides together. and make a hidden strap to fasten around your bra so the shoulder strap wont slip of your shoulder.
15. Sew the right side seam, right sides together, press seam open.
Sew the skirt:
16. Finish all sides separately.
17. Sew the front to the back and press seam open
18. Fold the pleats according to the notches and arrows on the pattern piece.
19. Sew bodice to the skirt in the waist, right sides together.
20. Finish the seam of the waistline. all layers together. Press seam upwards
NB! Now you have a dress with the left side seam open.
21. Now you are ready to sew in the zipper. The zipper starts 5 cm below the armhole.
22. Finish the raw edge of the hemline.
23. Make a hem of minimum 4 cm and make a topstitch to finish
24. Find inspiration on how to make your hem look classy right here.