Sewing instructions No. 1 DRAGØR
This dress is inspired by dresses seen in 1950s. It has a full skirt, a fitted waist and an draped neckline.
Find your size:
The picture shows a size 40/12/8. Determine your size by measuring your chest, waist and hip and compare the measurements to the chart on your pattern.
This model is made in a micro fiber, but you can use all kind of woven materials. The back piece at the top part is required a lining, use a cotton voile or an ordinary acetate lining.
You will need:
- Fabric width 140 cm
- E U 34-48/ UK 6-20/US 2-16 2,8 Mtr.
- Fabric width 110 cm
- EU 34-48/ UK 6-20/ US 2-16 3,1 Mtr.
- Zipper 30 cm
- Lining 60 cm all sizes
- 3,5 mtr. lace for a fancy hemline
I recommend that you always make a muslin before you cut the fashion fabric, to make sure your finished dress will fit you perfectly. Find the fitting guide here.
Each pattern piece is marked with a capital letter. On the cutting layout plan, you’ll find the same capital letters so that you can easily see which pattern pieces to use for the view you’ve chosen.
NB! Also cut lining with pattern piece B
NB! To use as little fabric as possible, divide the fabric in two pieces and fold according to the cutting layout plan
NB! The pattern has 1 cm seam allowances included, unless otherwise noted.
1. Cut all the pieces in fabric and lining
Sew the top:
2. Finish the neckline on the front piece with a lace or a bias tape.
3. Gather in between the notches on the top piece (E). The top needs to fit to the waist piece according to the notches.
4. Sew the top piece to the waste pieces. Place the two waist pieces on each side of the top piece so the top piece is placed like a sandwiched in between the waist pieces.
5. Sew and turn the waist pieces. The seam allowance is now hidden between the layers.
6. Sew the darts on the back, on both fabric and lining separately.
7. Sew the lining to the fabric in the neckline, right sides together
8. Understitch the back neckline. Cut notches to the seamallowance
9. Sew the armscye at back, right sides together
10. Understitch the armscye. Stitch as far up as you can reach. Cut notches to the seam allowance
11. Press the neckline and armhole at back.
12. Finish the armhole edge at front.
13. At shoulder; fold the front piece of the shoulder seam around the back piece of the shoulder, right sides together. Now the back shoulder is sewn in sandwiched between the front piece.
14. Sew the right side seam, right sides together.
Sew the skirt:
15. Finish all sides separately.
16. Sew the front to the back and press seam open
17. Fold the pleats according to the notches and arrows on the pattern piece.
18. Sew bodice to the skirt in the waist, right sides together.
19. Finish the seam of the waistline. all layers together. Press seam upwards
NB! Now you have a dress with the left side seam open.
20. Now you are ready to sew in the zipper. The zipper starts 5 cm below the armhole.
21. Finish the raw edge of the hemline.
22. Make a hem of minimum 4 cm and make a topstitch to finish
23. Find inspiration on how to make a classy hemline right here.