Sewing instructions No. 5 ÅRHUS
The inspiration for this dress it the early 1940s. The shape of the neckline, gives the dress a very feminine and sexy look.
Find your size:
The picture shows a size 40/12/8. Determine your size by measuring your waist and chest and compare the measurement to the chart on your pattern.
This version is made in a polyester chiffon. You can use many kind of fabric for this style both silk, light cottons, viscose and light wool fabric is suitable.
You will need:
- Fabric width 130/140 cm
- EU 34-40/UK 6-12/US 2-8 2,2 mtr.
- EU 4 2-48/UK 14-20/US 10-16 2,4 mtr.
- Fabric width 110 cm
- EU 34-40/UK 6-12/US 2-8 3,75 mtr.
- E U 42-48/UK 14-20/US 10-16 4,25 mtr.
- Lining 50 cm.
- 1 zipper 30 cm.
- Small piece of fusing.
I recommend that you always make a muslin before you cut the fashion fabric, to make sure your finished dress will fit you perfectly. Find the fitting guide right here.
Each pattern piece is marked with a capital letter. On the cutting layout plan, you’ll find the same capital letters so that you can easily see which pattern pieces to use for the view you’ve chosen.
NB! Pattern piece E, is mirrored on a piece of paper, so you don´t have to place it on fold when cutting.
NOTE! Also cut in lining with Pattern piece A, G & H
Pattern piece D is cut x 4.
NB! The pattern has 1 cm seam allowances included, unless otherwise noted.
1. Cut all the pieces.
2. Cut 2 pieces of interfacing with the measurement 3x30 cm.
3. Press interfacing to the left side seam at the top, on the wrong side of the fabric, on both front and back piece. You do this to make it easier when sewing in the zipper.
4. Overlock/zig zag all sides of the skirt separately.
Sew the skirt
5. Sew the skirt together in the all long seams, right sides together. Sew according to notches.
6. Sew a front and back piece.
7. Sew front and back piece together in one side seam, right sides together.
8. Sew the other side seam together 20 cm from bottom and up, This will be your left side.
9. Hem the skirt with a narrow hem
NB! Now you have a skirt, it is time to sew the bodice.
Sew the bodice:
10. Sew the darts on the back, with right sides together.
11. Sew CF seam together, right sides together. Sew from the bottom and up to the second notch.
12. Sew the shoulder seams, right sides together.
13. Repeat all steps for lining.
14. Sew the neckline; place main fabric and lining on top of each other, right sides together. And sew all way round.
15. Understitch the lining
16. With right sides together, sew the armcye.
17. Undersitich the lining in the armscye
18. Overlock/zig zag side seams of the bodice
19. Sew right side seam with right sides together.
20. Sew skirt and bodice together. Let it be open in the left side seam.
21. Overlock/zig zag waste line.
22. Now you are ready to sew in the zipper. The zipper starts 4 cm below the armhole.
23. Sew the rest of the side seam.
24. Fold the 3 small straps along the long side, right side facing each other. Sew together, now it is a tube.
25. Turn the tubes and press nicely.
26. Overlock/zig zag the ends on the tubes.
27. Make a gather between the two notches on the front piece. Look on the pattern for the placement of the notches. Use a thread to make the gathering on each side of the seam.
28. Gather it to approx. 2.5 cm.
29. Sew one of the tubes right below the gathering, right sides together.
30. Fold the tube around the gathering and attach it on the backside.
31. Fold and sew the two other tubes around the shoulder strap.
32. Adjust the placement of the tubes, this it easiest done when having the dress on. When placed, attach them by hand.